Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Early Education

I can remember as far back my mother always reading to me and teaching me letters and numbers before I entered school. Her being an in home daycare provider gave me an early start to education and helped prepare me for the transition into school. I went to Pre-school to get early exposure to school and how it is run. I was lucky enough to have my friends not only in the same classes as I but in the after school program my mom setup. I never had any issues finding the proper resources and seemed to have endless supplies. My mom was there to help tutor me in the evenings and go over any homework I had. Of course back then the homework was simple and used mostly imagination.

I specifically remember one after school session I went to once a month. I met up with one of the sixth grade teachers and she would show me a picture book without words. My responsibility was to create a dialogue between the character in the story. I can remember to this day I always struggled with math. Math is still one of my weakest subjects.

The most fond memory I have of elementary school was my second grade teacher Mrs. Majors. I still remember her perfume and exactly how the class was set up. She had so much patience and taught us about seasons, egypt, and we had a classroom pet. It is hard to think of children in low income areas whom do not have the newly painted library and abundant amount of equipment for PE class. Looking back at my early education I would say I was more than fortunate.

In an article, Educating Girls in the Third World; the Demographic, Basic Needs and Economic Benefits
by Kenneth Hadden, Bruce London; International Journal of Comparative Sociology, Vol. 37, 1996. It explains the social justice issue of being a girl in third world countries. Many are looked at as child bearers and caretakers. If countries gave these children a chance at any education at all the overall effects of the economy would improve and help overall investment of the country itself. Young boys typically are prioritized for education. Some third world countries, due to poverty, do not send either boy or girl to school but rather use them for child labor. These are all social Justice issues that can be solved through educating the government and people of the country to make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment