Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The United Arab Emirates

In class we had the chance to pry into a world that was unknown to me. I have heard stories but was never educated on their cultures and lifestyle in the UAE, which is part of the United Nations. Our guest speaker Khaled Almansoori gave a great presentation that focused on a wide range of topics. I learned that the seven emirates consisted of Ajman, Fujairah, Sharjah, Abui Dhabi, Dubai (which I have heard plenty about from a friend who once visited), Umm al-Quwain and Ras al-khaimah. At first it was shocking to hear there was one president to run all seven Emirates until he compared that to the United States. I realize in a way it is similar to how the President Obama looks over all fifty states.

He emphasized the flourishing economy (with the help of export petroleum), health care, high literacy rate and the open mind they have on human rights. They appreciate tourism and do not judge if they are not dressed according to their standards where he is from. I was comforted to know I can one day explore his homeland and be welcomed. Moreover, I was impressed with the illiteracy rate being a low of 7 %. It was mentioned that those with high education must work. He further discussed health care and the fact that it is covered in full by the government. I was impressed and wish that was the case with me considering I am always going to the doctor.

I enjoyed his presentation thoroughly and learned a lot regarding his upbringing and the culture of UAE. The one fact that sticks out in my mind it $100 U.S. dollars is equivalent to $360 of their money. Naturally I thought "why not just move there and get a huge home for cheap", but he burst my bubble when he explained the cost of living was very expensive.

Overall, Almansoori was a friendly, informative presenter and I appreciate the time he took out of his day to share a bit about the UAE.

No comments:

Post a Comment