Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chronic Poverty



Imagine a life of struggle. I am so fortunate for the life I live, the meals I look forward to and the shelter I take advantage of. After taking a deeper look into the lives of those who live in poverty, I have a much greater appreciation for the situation I was born into and the life I have lived. It breaks my heart that the children worry about their health and food and do not get to grow through imagination, education and play.


There are two forms of poverty. The one we will take a closer look at is known as chronic poverty. According to an article on Chronic Poverty Facts and Statistics, a staggering number of 320 to 445 million people are stuck in the cycle of chronic poverty. These people will not just go through rough spells, but rather continue fighting for their survival their entire lives. Many children who are born into this lifestyle are forever more going to deal with issues of money and much more. Knowing those in third world countries who live in these conditions have to worry about water conditions and their health tears me apart. Considering the fact that most people who live in chronic poverty have a voice that goes unheard we can speak up for them and collect money or donate our money to non-profit organizations trying to make a difference.
Chronic Poverty can lead to abuse, trafficking, starvation, single parents, illiteracy, death and the list continues. A households demographic is another influential factor for those in chronic poverty. Through my research of child sex trafficking, I learned many families who struggle with money and are stuck in poverty start making desperate attempts for survival that I find immoral on many different levels. It is said some parents will sell their children to men in order to make survive.
Thanks to Overseas Development Institute, they are putting together research to reduce the amount of chronic poverty and look for helpful resources. Creating gender equality can be very helpful and moreover offering social protection are steps in making a difference.
Chronic Poverty-Themes. Overseas Developement Institute,
www.odi.org.uk/themes-poverty/>
What is Chronic Poverty? Chronic Poverty Research Center. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Feb, 2010

2 comments:

  1. Stacey,
    I definitely enjoyed your poverty blog. The whole issue itself does make us realize that we are exteremely lucky to have the life we have and not have to suffer just like those poor children all over the world today. Although, people should start realizing that this kind of issue is going to continue unless there is some some kind of aid that can help all of the children get out of poverty.


    Interesting note about the trafficking part, I never knew up to now, that trafficking can occur because of poverty. I mean this is a great point to show how children's rights are being inflicted by his or her OWN parents. That kind of situationdefinitely shows how it's immorally wrong for parents to do that. You know if that would to be the case about the parents, should the parents might as well lose their rights as parents or not have children at all so children won't have to suffer? Which you think is better-children having the right to have a life with sutck with poverty or not be born at all without the life with poverty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really are so extremely fortunate. I have become more aware of things as this semester has progressed and am overwhelmed with how spoiled I am. I thought that the chart on the website you mentioned was really interesting. I knew that Africa experiences a great deal of poverty but I never knew the extent of South Asia. It actually says it is a little worse off than Africa. That's so surprising to me. As this course goes on I'm realizing more and more how much I don't know about other countries and cultures and just the condition of the world in general. It's all very interesting and makes me want to research even more and keep learning.

    ReplyDelete